Questions for Photo 5
1. Locate the river and the two acequias, How difficult do you think it would have been to design an irrigation system that would provide water to the whole valley?
2. Find the main rancho house complex. Why do you think it was placed so close to the acequia? What other reasons might explain the location of the house and its outbuildings?
3. How are the agricultural fields laid out? Why do they think that was done?
4. The strips of property on the east side of the river stretch for about a mile and a half up the mountainside. Why would it be important for the rancho land to extend up into the mountains?
* The photo on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Photo 5, but be aware that the file will take as much as 30 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.