Map 1: General Sherman's march.
Questions for Map 1
1. Through which states did Sherman's army march? Which major cities did they capture?
2. Now concentrate on North Carolina. Locate Wilmington and Morehead City, both of which the Union had captured earlier in the war, and Goldsboro, which remained in Confederate hands.
3. Why would Sherman consider Goldsboro his primary objective in the state?
4. Why would the control of Wilmington and Morehead City have made the Union want to take Goldsboro even more?
* The map on this screen have a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Map 1, but be aware that the file may take as much as two minutes to load with a 28.8K modem.