Illustration 1: Harper's Weekly, March 30, 1901.
Questions for Illustration 1
1. When did this cartoon appear? Who are the various people in the picture? What are they doing?
2. What seems to be the artist's main point? How does this fit with the information you learned in the readings?
3. The cartoon suggests Carnegie's donations were tainted. Was Carnegie responsible for the Homestead strike? Why or why not?
4. Should communities have considered how Carnegie made his money before deciding whether to accept his gift? Why or why not?
* The illustration on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Illustration 1, but be aware that the file will take as much as 40 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.