Painting 1: The Fishing Party by J. Alden Weir
about 1915, oil on canvas, 28 x 23 in, unsigned.
1. Examine Painting 1, The Fishing Party, and compare it with Photo 1, a view of the fishing bridge.
2. How are the two images alike? How are they different?
3. Are the photograph and the painting showing the same place? How do you know? Has Weir changed reality in his painting?
4. Do you think both were created at the same time of year? Provide reasons for your answer.
5. How does Weir communicate the distinguishing features of the landscape in his painting?
* The painting on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Painting 1, but be aware that the file will take as much as 30 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.