This photo shows NCNW president Dorothy Ferebee and president emeritus Mary McLeod Bethune (white-haired woman seated on right side of table) at a planning meeting at the Council House. This room functioned as the library, conference room, and board room and was the primary space NCNW members gathered for meetings.
Questions for Photo 6
1. Find the conference room on Drawing 1. What are the room's dimensions?
2. Describe the room and its uses. Why do you think the room had to serve multiple functions? Based on what you have learned in the lesson, what were some of the important topics discussed at meetings in this room?
3. What does Bethune's presence at the meeting say about her continued involvement in NCNW affairs even after her retirement?
4. Study the photograph. What information does it provide about the time period?
* The small image on this screen will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Photo 6, but be aware that the file will take as much as 60 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.