Eastern Branch
Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itinerary
Veterans Affairs National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers

 

Eastern Branch

Togus, Maine


Governor's House, Eastern Branch
Governor's House at the Eastern Branch
Photo by James Rosenthal, Historic American
Buildings Survey Photographer


Togus, which opened in 1866, was the first branch established as a National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers. Known as the Eastern Branch, (now the Togus VA Medical Center), the Home offered a place for disabled veterans to live if they could not care for themselves or their pensions did not provide enough financial support. The facility retains its peaceful, rural landscape that the Board of Managers felt was integral to the well-being of the veterans.  Only a few buildings from this early period remain including the Governor’s House (Building 1), completed in 1869. It is the only original building surviving at the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers in Togus, and is designated a National Historic Landmark by the Department of Interior. The campus underwent a period of modernization and updates during the 1930s in order to transform it into a modern medical facility. Buildings from this period provide examples of Great Depression-era architecture.

In 1866, soon after Congress authorized the establishment of a National Asylum for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, the Eastern Branch opened on the site of a former heath resort for the wealthy.  Horace Beals purchased a 1,900 acre tract of land in 1859 and built a 134 room hotel, a race course, bowling alleys, bath house, and other recreational facilities.  He wanted to create a resort spa to rival Saratoga Springs.  Unfortunately, the Civil War broke out shortly after he completed his project.  The resort failed, and he went bankrupt. The project became known as “Beal’s Folly.”  After his death during the Civil War, his widow sold the property and buildings at a loss to the Board of Managers for the new National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers.  The Board of Managers thought the property was an excellent site because buildings were already there, and veterans could move in immediately.  In addition, the isolated setting provided “moral benefits” for the veterans and kept them away from the temptations of the city.  Within a year, more than 200 men lived at the National Home branch, the majority of them from Maine, Massachusetts, and New York, though veterans came from all over.  More than half the veterans were foreign born, including a large Irish community. 

Eastern Branch Lithograph
Governor's House at the Eastern Branch
from the 1891 lithograph Eastern Branch National Home
for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers,
Togus, Kennebec County, Maine


In January 1868, a fire broke out that damaged or destroyed all of the major buildings on the campus.  Following the devastating fire, a building campaign commenced to replace the resort facilities with buildings constructed especially for the branch, including three large dormitories, an amusement hall, barn, workshop, and the Governor’s House.  All of these were made of brick in an attempt to fireproof them. Over time, most were destroyed by fire or demolished, with the exception of the Governor’s House. 

The Governor’s House (Building 1) has changed little since its construction in 1869.  The two story brick mansard roof house originally had a full-width open veranda looking out over the campus.  The only major change to the exterior of the house has been the replacement of the verandah with a narrower enclosed porch.  To the northeast of the house is a lake, and to the northwest and west is a large park-like area with trees. Several other staff quarters from the late 19th century remain as well, including two near the Governor's House (Buildings 2 and 4). The southern end of campus has a small residential area with staff quarters from 1896-1900 (Buildings 15-21 and 215-216).

Theater
Theater at the Eastern Branch
Courtesy of the Togus VA Medical Center Archives







In response to an influx of returning veterans after World War I, Congress created the Veterans Bureau in 1921, followed by the Veterans Administration in 1930. The Eastern Branch and the other National Home branches were expanded to accommodate a new generation of veterans; the campus experienced a major building campaign. In the early 1930's, the new medical center director, Malcolm Stoddard, sought to transform the campus into a modern medical facility. Stoddard received Public Works Administration money to modernize the facility, which, over the course of the decade, added 20 new buildings. Located in the northern section of the campus, the General Medical & Surgical Hospital (Building 200) provided veterans with the newest technology. To the right of the hospital is the Nurses Quarters (Building 209), now used as a Medical Administration Building. To the left of the hospital is a 1937 Theater (Building 210). Originally designed for live performances, it is now a movie theater that continues to provide entertainment to the veterans.

The National Cemetery at Togus VA Medical Center has two sections: East Cemetery and West Cemetery. West Cemetery was established at Togus in 1867, shortly after the Eastern Branch opened. The cemetery is located on top of a hill at the western end of campus. In 1947, a new cemetery opened on the eastern side of campus, referred to as East Cemetery. Both cemeteries are closed to new interments.

Plan your visit

The Eastern Branch is located at 1 VA Center in Augusta, ME.  The Governor's House has been designated a National Historic Landmark. Click here for the National Historic Landmark registration file:  text and photos.  Eastern Branch has been documented by the National Park Service’s Historic American Buildings Survey.  The public can walk and drive through the campus.  The National Cemetery there is open from dawn until dusk.  For more information please visit the Togus VA Medical Center website.  Please respect the privacy of veterans utilizing the facility.

Volunteers at the Togus Medical Center help make the medical center a better place.  During fiscal year 2008, 308 volunteers donated 53,569 hours to the center.  Veterans Service Organizations joined together to rehabilitate old staff quarters to create the Beal House, which provides overnight accommodations for veterans' family and friends.  Beal House is especially important given the remote location of the facility and the harsh Maine winters.  This service is provided to family and friends for free. For more information about volunteering, please see Togus Medical Center’s volunteer website.

top
Next page
Comments or Questions

Itinerary Home | List of sites | Maps | Learn More | Credits | Other Itineraries | NR Home | Search