[graphic]  Santa Clara County California's Historic Silicon Valley Header[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to NPS.gov
 [graphic]  Link to S C Home  [graphic] link to List of Sites
 [graphic] Link to Maps   [graphic] link to Essays  [graphic] link to Learn More  [graphic] link to Itineraries Home  [graphic] link to NR Home
[graphic] Previous Site [image] Ramona Street Architectural District[graphic] Next Site Site

[photo] A typical block of Ramona Street in Palo Alto
Photograph by Judith Silva, courtesy of the City of Santa Clara

Ramona Street between University Avenue and Hamilton Avenue is a highly distinctive business block in downtown Palo Alto. It showcases the Spanish and Early California styles with gentle archways, wrought iron work, tile roofs of varying heights and courtyards. The development of Ramona Street was an early successful attempt to expand laterally the central commercial district. Pedro de Lemos, a craftsman, graphic artist and curator of the Stanford Museum had been concerned with the larger scale and somewhat linear development along University Avenue. He believed that an informal architecture full of whimsy and integrated with nature was indeed compatible with commercial businesses. The first to go up, in 1925, was the Gotham Shop at 520 Ramona, built by Pedro de Lemos. De Lemos had bought the property to preserve a very old oak tree (finally removed in the 1980s). He designed the building around the venerable oak and created shops with rustic benches, ceramic tiles and stucco walls. In 1938, de Lemos built another Spanish Colonial Revival commercial office building across the street at 533 - 539 Ramona, with a recessed arched entrance, an interior patio, wrought iron and more tiles.

[photo] Buildings in the district including those built by Pedro De Lemos and the block containing the Medico-Dental building and Cardinal Hotel
Photograph by Judith Silva, courtesy of the City of Santa Clara

Noted local architects Birge Clark, William Weeks and others added to the Spanish flavor of what de Lemos started. In 1928, Clark designed the multistory Medico-Dental Building at Hamilton and Ramona, which now houses the University Art Center on the ground floor. Across Ramona, Weeks designed the Cardinal Hotel, Palo Alto's first non-frame hotel. Excitement attended the Cardinal's debut, for it became the scene of tea dances and balls. The hotel had another purpose; it was intended to help make Hamilton a commercial street. The unified aspect of the 500 Ramona Street block was recognized by its designation in 1985 as a Historic District in the National Register of Historic Places. Since then, Plaza Ramona and other remodelings at the University Avenue end of the block have enhanced the theme.

Ramona Street is located in downtown Palo Alto, between University and Hamilton aves. The Ramona Street Architectural District includes 518 to 581 Ramona St. and 247, 255-267 Hamilton Ave.

  [image] changing images of Santa Clara County
 [graphic] Los Gatos Historic Commercial District and link to Economic Development Essay   [graphic] Charles Copeland Morse house and link to Bay Area Architecture Essay
 [graphic] New Almaden and link to Early History Essay   [graphic] Agnews Insane Asylum and link to Preservation Essay

Santa Clara Home | Maps | List of Sites | Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site
Essays: Early History | Economic Development | Bay Area Architecture | Preservation

Comments or Questions

JPJ/RQ/SB