Designed by James Fitzgibbon, the Fadum House was built from 1949 to 1950. It was located adjacent to the Kamphoefner House, home of the Dean of the School of Design. The Fadum House has a single-slope flat roof supported by large, built-up wood columns, giving it a wedge-shaped section. Built on a two by four module, the house displays finishes throughout of exposed brick, stained and sealed plywood, or tongue-and-groove pine, cypress or redwood. Its deeply cantilevered overhangs, orientation to the southeast, and large expanses of glass allow for supplemental solar heating in the winter. Influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonian mode of design, the Fadum House presents a mostly blank facade with carport toward the street, while opening up elevations toward a natural site on the sides and rear. Usonian design is characterized by small scale, affordable construction, open plan interiors, integration of interior and exterior spaces, flat roof and large glazed areas such as windows and doors. The Fadum House is a designated Raleigh Historic Landmark.
The Fadum House is located at 3056 Granville Dr. It is a private residence and is not open to the public.
Comments or Questions