[graphic] Historic Places in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands
 [graphic] Link to Puerto Rico  Virgin Islands Home  [graphic]  Link to List of Sites  [graphic]  Link to Maps  [graphic] Link to  Itineraries  [graphic]  Link to NR Home

[graphic] Previous Site

[graphic] Property Title
[graphic] Next Site

[photo] Plaza Pública
Photo courtesy of the Puerto Rico Office of Historic Preservation

The Emperor of Spain, Phillip II, decreed in 1576 that plazas in the "New World" colonies were to be created following his rigid requirements, namely that plazas were to be placed in the center of each settlement, with major government, commercial, residential and church buildings facing the plaza. Since the founding of Mayagüez, its inhabitants have used Plaza Pública for social, cultural and political purposes. Despite a fire that destroyed much of the town, residents remodeled the plaza in 1842. In 1896, a bronze statue of Columbus was added to the plaza.

The Plaza Pública is bounded by McKinley, Del Rio, De Agosto, and Pearl sts., in MayagŁez, Puerto Rico.

 

Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Home | List of Sites | Maps | Itineraries | NR HomeNext Site

Comments or Questions

JPJ/RQ/SB

 

[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to nps.gov