[Graphic Header] A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
[Link] - Click here to go to the navigation for this page

[graphic] John Rowe House
Link to Previous Site
 Link to Next Site
[photo] John Rowe House
Courtesy of Lorraine Draper

The John Rowe House (or Farrar House) is a simple bungalow, like many found across the country; however, the house is unusual because it is sheathed in locally quarried stone. John Rowe, a quarry man, purchased this property in 1903 for $1,000. At that time, he altered the appearance of the existing wood frame house by re-siding it with Sioux quartzite. The one and a half story house has an irregular, but basically rectangular plan. Midway down each side of the building are projecting bays. The east bay is rectangular, while the west bay is rounded with a conical roof. The


[photo] John Rowe House
National Register Collection
hipped roof has dormers and gables at the front and sides. The dormers and gables were not covered by Sioux quartzite at the time of Rowe's other alterations. The whole first story is of rough cut quartzite construction.

The Rowe House is significant as a common bungalow house type expressed in uncommon materials. The house is modest, yet substantial, and is a striking addition to the town's residential district. This house is in excellent condition and retains much of its original integrity.

The John Rowe House is located at 200 East 2nd St., Jasper, and is not open to the public.

[graphic] Link to essay on Pipestone County History [graphic] Link to essay on Downtown Revitalization[graphic] Link to essay on Pipestone: The Rock

Pipestone Home | Main Map | List of Sites | Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site

Comments or Questions

NP/SB/JPJ/RQ

[graphic] Link to the National Park Service website