[Graphic Header] A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
[Link] - Click here to go to the navigation for this page

[graphic] Calumet Hotel
Link to Previous Site
 Link to Next Site

[photo]
Calumet Hotel sits at the corner of Hiawatha Ave. and Main St.
Courtesy of Lorraine Draper


The Calumet Hotel was built by Close Brothers and Co., an English land speculating company which helped Pipestone prosper in the late 19th century. This Richardsonian Romanesque influenced building dominates the downtown historic district of Pipestone. Its outstanding features are the large quartzite arch over the northwest door, the northeast corner door, the north crenelated cornice, the restored oriel window on the second floor northeast corner and the two engraved name plates near the top of the north facade. Its light pink jasper quartzite exterior contrasts with the darker red Sioux quartzite stone used for most buildings downtown.


[rotating photos] Historic images of the hotel from 1902 and from 1910 with a parade passing by
Courtesy of Pipestone County Historical Society and Pipestone County Museum

Pipestone needed a hotel because of the increased railway traffic that passed through this growing midwestern town. The Close Brothers originally built a three-story Sioux quartzite building in 1883, but three years later fire totally destroyed the venture. The hotel reopened on Thanksgiving Day, 1888 and had accommodations for 50 guests. The First National Bank had its headquarters in the Calumet's first floor and basement. In 1899 a three-story addition to the south provided more guest rooms. The addition can be distinguished from the original building by the first floor window caps, which are round instead of square. A second addition in 1913 added the fourth floor, making a total of 90 guest rooms and maids' quarters. The original oriel window and balcony were removed in 1912. The First National Bank was one of about 30 businesses to occupy space in the Calumet's first floor and basement. One of the more unusual business ventures housed in the building was the 14-hole Bobby Links miniature golf course, which was located in the basement in 1914.

Although the owners had deemed the hotel fireproof, in February 1944 a fire gutted all floors of the south section. Repairs were made and the hotel reopened in April of that year. During the next 30 years the hotel's business declined and the building deteriorated. By 1978, the State Fire Marshall deemed the hotel unsafe and closed it. After an extensive rehabilitation between 1979 and 1981, which included replicating the oriel window, the hotel reopened in 1981. The Historic Calumet Inn has regained popularity and currently features guest rooms furnished with antique furniture, a lower level bar, lounge and restaurant.

The Calumet Hotel is located at 104 W. Main St. and is open to the public. Call 800-535-7610 or visit www.calumetinn.com/index.htm for further information.

[graphic] Link to essay on Pipestone County History [graphic] Link to essay on Downtown Revitalization[graphic] Link to essay on Pipestone: The Rock

Pipestone Home | Main Map | List of Sites | Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site

Comments or Questions

NP/SB/JPJ/RQ

[graphic] Link to the National Park Service website