| St. Peter's Episcopal Church
Photo by Terri McBride, Courtesy of Nevada State Historic
This Gothic Revival church was built at a cost of $5,500 from 1867
to 1868, five years after the parish was organized. The first service
was held in the church on August 9, 1868, although it was not consecrated
until June 1870. The rectory, which stands to the south of the church,
was built as a private residence in 1867. It was purchased by the church
in 1891 for $3,500. A number of fine stained-glass windows adorning
the church have been donated by the congregation. The church was enlarged
during 1873-1874, with the expansion of one end of the building by 24
feet and the addition of two short wings, equal in height to the main
section of the church. It is the oldest Episcopal house of worship extant
in Nevada. The building displays characteristics very similar to many
New England churches.
In the sanctuary, an unusual half-domed ceiling is supported by Corinthian
columns, possibly reflecting a Masonic perspective present in the early
congregations. Also, there is no central aisle through the pews to the
alter, but instead, two side aisles partitioning the pews into three columns
across the interior of the church. This layout, lacking a central focus
from the door of the sanctuary to the altar, is reminiscent of New England
Protestant church interiors, which tend to emphasize not only the central
placement of the altar and other objects, but parishioners as well. St.
Peter's Episcopal Church may be the only Episcopal church west of the
Mississippi with no center aisle.
| Interior of St. Peter's Episcopal Church in 1973, looking
Photo by Aaron A. Gallup, Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs
Division, Historic American Buildings Survey, Reproduction Number
St. Peter's Episcopal Church is located at 300 North Division St.
in Carson City, and is open to the public.