The residents of the Parish House during its history are representative of the successful business people who lived in Virginia City and whose existence depended on the monetary health of the Comstock. The house was originally built by mining engineer, Goodwin Jones, for his family in 1876. The land where the house stands was a Christmas present for Jones's wife Martha from her brother W. S. Hobart, a prominent figure on the Comstock. Goodwin Jones was an engineer for Caledonia Mines, the smallest of the official Comstock Lode mines. The home was sold by the Jones family in 1884. Several Comstock entrepreneurs were successive owners during the next 50 years including Robert Patterson, proprietor of the International Saloon; Dr. Thomas McDonald, a Virginia City physician; and successful grocer and merchant John McGrath who lived here 28 years--longer than any other owner. In the 1930s, the house was purchased by St. Mary's of the Mountains Roman Catholic Church. It served as the Parish House for St. Mary's from the late 1930s until 1970.
The Parish House is located at 109 South F St. in Virginia City. It is privately owned and not open to the public.