Morrill Hall was the first building of the University
of Nevada-Reno campus. This academic building, a three-story Second
Empire style edifice, was constructed after the University of Nevada was
relocated from Elko to Reno in 1884. Relatively few Second Empire style
buildings remain in Reno, and it may be that Morrill Hall was a rare example
of this particular type of Victorian building constructed in the city.
The cornerstone was laid on September 12, 1885, and the building was ready
for occupancy on February 15, 1886. Constructed of two-story brick walls,
a third story was formed by the typical Second Empire style mansard roof.
A deep basement provided additional space.
Morrill Hall is a three-story Second
Photo by Charles Miller,
Courtesy of Nevada State Historic Preservation Office
Originally called State University, the building housed administration
offices, classrooms, and dormitories. At the time it was built, Nevada
was little more than a collection of rough mining camps and railroad towns.
The new university hall symbolized the determination of the people of
Nevada to provide educational opportunities for themselves and their children.
Currently, the Alumni Association, University Foundation and the University
of Nevada Press occupy the building.
Historic photo c. 1910 of Morrill
Courtesy of University Archives, University of Nevada, Reno
Morrill Hall is located on the south end of the University of Nevada's
Reno campus quadrangle, near the intersection of Ninth and Virginia
sts. For information on campus tours call 775-784-4700 or visit the
| List of Sites
| Learn More
| NR Home
Essays: Carson City Essay
| Viriginia City Essay