Mound Plantation House
Photographs from National
views of Magnolia Mound
Courtesy of Lagniappe Tours,
Foundation for Historical Louisiana
Located in Baton Rouge, Magnolia
Mound Plantation stands as a fine example of the architectural influences
of early settlers from France and the West Indies. One of the earliest
buildings in the city of Baton Rouge, the property was owned originally
by James Hillen, an early settler who arrived in 1786. On December 23,
1791, John Joyce, from Cork County, Ireland, purchased the property. Here
he lived with his wife, Constance Rochon, until he mysteriously drowned
in Mobile on May 9, 1798. Constance Rochon Joyce went on to marry Armand
Allard Duplantier, a former captain of the continental army under the
Marquis de Lafayette and a most influential personality in the city. Several
persons owned the property from the time of the Duplantier family to the
late 19th century when Mr. Louis Barillier sold the land and improvements
to Mr. Robert A. Hart. Finally, through family inheritance Mrs. Blanche
Duncan acquired Magnolia Mound Plantation. Mrs. Duncan commissioned the
architectural firm of Goodman and Miller of Baton Rouge to do extensive
alterations and additions in 1951. Eventually, the city of Baton Rouge
expropriated the property in 1966 for its historic and visual significance
to the community.
The house originally had a three-room side by side room arrangement.
It was extended to the rear in the early 19th century to include a formal
dining room and two service rooms. A " U-shaped " gallery was constructed
during this second stage of development. During the late 19th century,
rooms were added under the gallery on the north and south. The basic
form of the house is rectangular with a large hipped roof, which covered
all rooms and galleries. During the early 19th century double hung windows
were added. The interior décor was altered during the early 20th century.
Magnolia Mound Plantation House is located at 2161 Nicholson Dr.
approximately one mile south from downtown Baton Rouge. It is open from
10:00am to 4:00pm, Tuesday-Saturday, and 1:00pm to 4:00pm, Sunday; there
is a fee for admission. Please call 225-343-4955 for further information.