The Lexington Opera House was built in 1886 following the destruction
by fire of the earlier opera house. Designed by the noted theatrical
architect Oscar Cobb of Chicago, the opera house was opened on
August 19, 1887 with a production of "Our Angel" by the Lizzie
Evans Stock Company. The three-story building originally seated
1,250 people and had two balconies and two boxes on either side
of the stage. The interior of the opera house was lavishly decorated
in Turkish morocco and each box was equipped with its own hat
rack, cane and umbrella holder, and springs to help people enter
their seats. An 1893 article in The Kentucky Leader describes
the house as one of the "costliest, handsomest and most convenient
Thespian temples in the South, an object of cherished pride in
Exterior view of Lexington Opera House
Photograph by Eric Thomason, courtesy of Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation
Over the years the opera house hosted many large and elaborate performances. A production of the "Henley Regatta" in 1890 required a flooding of the stage. In 1893, approximately 100 animals and a mile-long parade were used for the performance of "A Country Circus." In 1904 a production of "Ben Hur" involved an on-stage chariot race. These plays alone should attest to the popularity of opera and the lavish performances that took place in the building. Many notables have performed in the opera house including: John Phillip Sousa, Mrs. Tom Thumb, Will Rogers, Mae West, and the Marx Brothers.
After its last live performance on October 1, 1926, the Opera House began a long history of use as movie theatre. Over time, the theatre fell into disrepair and was scheduled for demolition in the early 1970's. Spared the fate of demolition, the building was restored during the mid 1970s and reopened for live performances in 1976 and is now used again for theatrical and musical performances.
Stage of Lexington Opera House, c1898
Work of the Blue Grass Region of Kentucky, courtesy of the Blue Grass Trust
for Historic Preservation
The Lexington Opera House is located at 145 North Broadway,
a block north of the Victorian Commercial Block.
Now owned by the Lexington Center Corporation, the Lexington Opera
House is open during performances only, which occur throughout
the year. For ticket information please call 859-233-4567.