[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to NPS.gov [graphic] 1900 changes picture in photo box to Carnegie Library [graphic] 2000 changes picture in photo box to Keeneland Horse Racing [graphic] 1850 changes picture in photo box to Henry Clay [graphic] 1800 changes picture in photo box to First African Baptist Church [graphic] 1775 changes picture in photo box  to  McConnell Springs
[graphic] National Park Service Black Bar
 [graphic] photo box - map of Kentucky [graphic] Lexington, Kentucky: The Athens of the West A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
 [graphic] Link to Lexington Home Page  [graphic] Link to List of Sites  [graphic] Link to Essays  [graphic] Link to Learn More Page  [graphic] Link to Travel Itineraries Home Page  [graphic] Link to NR Home
 [graphic] Link to Map
[graphic] link to previous site
[graphic] Bodley-Bullock House
[graphic] link to next site

[photo] Bodley-Bullock House
Photograph by Eric Thomason, courtesy of the Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation
The Bodley-Bullock House is one of the most prominent and stately mansions in the Bluegrass region. The home was built circa 1814 for Lexington Mayor Thomas Pindell. Shortly after its construction it was sold to General Thomas Bodley, a veteran of the War of 1812, for whom the house was named. The home has many unusual architectural features and is very similar in design to the Hunt-Morgan House. Originally constructed as a Federal style residence, numerous additions and alterations during the 19th century resulted in a house that is more characteristic of the Greek Revival period. A small, one-story columned portico was added to the front entrance, at which time a Palladian window above the door was removed. A large, two-story columned portico was also added to the side of the house that faces the garden.

During the Civil War the house served as headquarters for both Union and Confederate forces during the occupation of the city by both factions. After the war, the house was owned by a series of owners including the Bullock family who purchased it in 1912. Dr. Waller Bullock was an accomplished sculptor as well as the founder of the Lexington Clinic. His wife, Minnie Bullock, was the founder of the Garden Club of Lexington and an avid gardener. Following Mrs. Bullock's death in 1970 the Junior League of Lexington leased the home from the Bullock estate for the sum of $1 a year.

The Bodley-Bullock House is located at 200 Market St. in the Gratz Park Historic District. Now a house museum, it is open for tours by appointment year-round, except on holidays. To schedule an appointment or for further information call 859-259-1266.

[graphic] link to Athens of the West Essay  [graphic] link to Civil War Essay  [graphic] link to Architecture Essay
 [graphic] link to Lexington Preservation Essay

 

Lexington Home | Main Map | List of Sites | Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site
Essays: Athens of the West | Civil War | Architecture | Lexington Preservation

Comments or Questions

JPJ/RQ/SB

[graphic] Link to the National Park Service website