[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to NPS.gov
  [graphic] James River Plantations: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary</title>

<script>


    var url = window.location.pathname;
    var filename = url.substring(url.lastIndexOf('/')+1);
   alert( " title="[graphic] James River Plantations: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary " >   
 [graphic] Link to Learn More  [graphic] Link to Itineraries Home Page
 [graphic] Link to NR Home Page
 [graphic] Link to Essays
 [graphic] Property Title
 [graphic] Link to Maps
 [graphic] Link to List of Sites
 [graphic] Link to James Home
 [graphic] Link to Previous Site  [graphic] Link to Next Site

[photo] Warren House (Smith's Fort)
Photos courtesy of Virginia Department of Historic Resources

This classic example of colonial Virginia architecture has been the inspiration for numerous 20th-century replicas. Along with Mayfield Cottage, it belongs to a collection of one-and-a-half-story mid-18th-century brick homes that epitomizes Georgian architecture in colonial Virginia. The house exhibits Flemish bond brick and interior pine paneling, including a handsome chimneypiece, fluted pilasters and arched cupboards with butterfly shells. The house was long thought to have been the 17th-century home of either John Rolfe or Thomas Warren. However, a dendrochronological study, which included an analysis of tree ring sizes in the timbers of the house, indicated the house was built c. 1763, and most likely first occupied by Jacob Faulcon. Faulcon's prominent status in Surry County is evidenced by his ascension to the clerk of the county court in 1781. The house remained in the Faulcon family until 1835.

[photo] Historic photo of Warren House (Smith's Fort)
Photo courtesy of Virginia Department of Historic Resources

The property is now known as Smith's Fort, a name derived from an earthwork on the property that was constructed in 1609 by the order of Captain John Smith. In 1928, Smith's Fort was acquired by the Williamsburg Holding Company, predecessor to the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. The Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities was given the property by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation in 1934 and has since opened the house as a museum. Today the house is furnished with a collection of fine English and American antiques.

Smith's Fort(Rolfe/Warren House) is located on the west side of Virginia Rte. 31, between Hopewell and Smithfield. It is open March - December, Friday-Saturday, 10:00am to 5:00pm and Sunday 12:00pm to 5:00pm. There is a nominal admission fee. Please call 757-294-3872 or visit the house's website. Warren House has also been documented by the Historic American Buildings Survey.

 [graphic] Link to Architecture Essay
 [graphic] Link to Colonization Essay James River Plantation Essays
 [graphic] Link to Gentry Essay

James Home | List of Sites | Maps| Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site
Essays: Architecture | Colonization| The Gentry|

Comments or Questions

JPJ/RQ/SB