|" title="[graphic] James River Plantations: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary " >|
Situated on Mulberry Island in what was originally Warwick County, the Matthew Jones House illustrates the transition from the post-medieval vernacular to the Georgian style. The main body of the T-shaped house was probably built in 1727 for Matthew Jones, as suggested by an inscribed brick, although the large chimneys with divided stacks appear to survive from an earlier frame building. The Matthew Jones House is one of four colonial Virginia homes that incorporate a projecting entrance, which like its cruciform plan, exhibits post-medieval architectural traditions. The glazed-header Flemish bond brickwork is exceptional.
In 1893 the original interior trim was removed and the upper level half-story was replaced with a full second story. A century later this artifact of colonial Virginia received necessary repairs and stabilization, and was opened to the public as a museum property by the Fort Eustis Historical and Archaeological Association.
The Matthew Jones House is located on the south side of Virginia Rte. 60, on the Fort Eustis Military Reservation in Newport News. It is open daily for exterior viewing. Guided house tours are available by appointment. Contact the Fort Eustis Historical and Archaeological Association (FEHAA) at 757-872-8283 or e-mail us at email@example.com. There is no admission fee. Please call 1-888-493-7386 or visit the city's website for further information. The Matthew Jones House has also been documented by the Historic American Buildings Survey.
James Home | List of Sites | Maps| Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site
Essays: Architecture | Colonization| The Gentry|
Comments or Questions