[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to NPS.gov
  [graphic] James River Plantations: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary</title>

<script>


    var url = window.location.pathname;
    var filename = url.substring(url.lastIndexOf('/')+1);
   alert( " title="[graphic] James River Plantations: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary " >   
 [graphic] Link to Learn More  [graphic] Link to Itineraries Home Page
 [graphic] Link to NR Home Page
 [graphic] Link to Essays
 [graphic] Property Title
 [graphic] Link to Maps
 [graphic] Link to List of Sites
 [graphic] Link to James Home
 [graphic] Link to Previous Site  [graphic] Link to Next Site

[photo] Current and historic views of Eppington
Photos courtesy of Virginia Department of Historic Resources

Located along the Appomattox River deep in the timber-farm region of western Chesterfield County, Eppington is the impressive Georgian plantation home of Francis Eppes VI. Francis Eppes was a cousin of Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson, wife of Thomas Jefferson. Following Martha's death in 1782, two of the Jeffersons' daughters, Maria (Polly) and Lucy, lived here with the Epps family while their father served as the minister to France. Jefferson visited Eppington on several occasions, and during one of his stays he received an invitation from George Washington to serve as the secretary of state. Lucy died at age three in 1785 and was buried at Eppington. In 1797 Polly married Francis Eppes's son, John Wayles Eppes, who developed a distinguished political career as a member of US House of Representatives and the Senate. Along with Appomattox Manor and Weston Manor, Eppington is one of several James River plantations associated with the Eppes family.

[photo] Detail view of the rear of the house
Photo courtesy of Virginia Department of Historic Resources

The two-and-a-half-story center portion of Eppington was built c. 1770 and the one-story wings were added c. 1790, all with hipped roofs. The practice of combining several varying sections developed in the third quarter of the 18th century, to break down the dominance of the central block of earlier Virginia houses. The interior of Eppington is notable for its exceptionally fine paneling. In 1989, Eppington was donated to Chesterfield County by the Cherry family and is protected by a historic preservation easement. Today the Chesterfield Historical Society and the Chesterfield County Parks and Recreation Department, which manages nearly 400 acres of the original plantation, are developing plans to interpret the house.

Eppington is located west of Chesterfield Court House on the south side of River Rd. (County Rte. 602) in the Winterpock vicinity. It is open for tours by appointment arranged through the Chesterfield County Department of Parks and Recreation. Please call 804-748-1624 or visit the county's website to arrange tours.

 [graphic] Link to Architecture Essay
 [graphic] Link to Colonization Essay James River Plantation Essays
 [graphic] Link to Gentry Essay

James Home | List of Sites | Maps| Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site
Essays: Architecture | Colonization| The Gentry|

Comments or Questions

JPJ/RQ/SB