|" title="[graphic] James River Plantations: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary " >|
Castlewood is one of Chesterfield County's finest early 19th-century houses, and usual for its five-part construction. The house is constructed in the neo-Palladian style, popular in England in the 18th century. Embraced by Virginians, this style can be found at other James River plantation homes such as Brandon and Battersea. Castlewood is believed to have been completed by 1820, erected in several stages of unknown sequence. The land on which the house sits was granted to Henry Winfree in 1754, and it is unknown whether Winfree constructed the center section before 1816 when he sold his land to Parke Poindexter. Poindexter was Clerk of the Court for Chesterfield County from 1812 until his death in 1847, and most certainly added the flanking sections in the first few years he owned the property, and, perhaps, the center section as well.
During its history, Castlewood has had many owners. Between 1860 and 1872, the home was used by the Methodists to house traveling ministers. It is believed the name Castlewood was first applied to the house by James H. Lumpkin, owner from the 1920s to 1957. The house was converted into use as a bank in 1977. In 1992 the property was acquired by the Chesterfield Historical Society, and the house now serves as its headquarters.
Castlewood is located on the south side of VA Rte. 10 in Chesterfield Court House between Richmond and Hopewell. It is open to visitors but tours are unavailable as it is not restored and accomodates offices. The research library is available to the public and is free of charge. For further information, please call 804-777-9663 or visit the Chesterfield Historical Society.
James Home | List of Sites | Maps| Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site
Essays: Architecture | Colonization| The Gentry|
Comments or Questions