| The Lloyd Street Synagogue, constructed in 1845 with an
1876 addition, was the first synagogue in Maryland. The Baltimore Hebrew
Congregation, incorporated on January 29, 1830, worshiped at several locations
until the Lloyd Street Synagogue was constructed. The synagogue, designed
by Robert Cary Long, Jr. and William Reasin is a Greek Revival brick building
with Doric columns dominating its portico. The building was later sold
to St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church (1889-1905), one of the
first Lithuanian "ethnic" parishes in the U.S. Between 1905-1963, it was
occupied by Shomrei Mishmeres HaKodesh, one of the leading Orthodox congregations
of the East European immigrant community. The building was restored from
1963 to 1965, and is no longer used as a place of worship, but open as
a historic site.
The Hebrew Chizuk Amuno Congregation, formed in 1871, was started by members of the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation who had resigned in protest of changes made to the traditional services. The congregation decided to construct a new synagogue in 1874 and land was purchased just south of the Lloyd Street Synagogue. The Chizuk Amuno Synagogue, completed in 1876 and designed by Henry Berge, is a brick, Gothic style building with some Romanesque and Moorish elements. The B'nai Israel Congregation has conducted regular religious services in the building since 1895.
Lloyd Street Synagogue at 11 Lloyd S. and the Chizuk Amuno Syngogue (B'nai Israel Synagogue) at 27-35 Lloyd St. are open for tours on Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 11:00am, 1:00pm, 2:00pm, 3:00pm, and 4:00pm. Contact the Jewish Museum at 410-732-6400 or visit their website. The B'nai Israel Congregation can be found online.
Lloyd Street Synagogue (above)
Previous Site | Next Site | Main Map | Baltimore Itinerary Home | Other Itineraries | NR Home