[graphic header] Baltimore: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary, National Park ServiceLink to National Park Service home page
Carroll Mansion

The Carroll Mansion, built circa 1811, was the final home of Charles Carroll of Carrollton (1737-1832), the longest-living signer of the Declaration of Independence. In 1832, Carroll died in the house he had financed for his daughter and son-in-law, Richard Caton. Architectural details of this Federal, brick house, such as molded wood recessed panels between the first and second floors and a marble beltcourse between the ground floor and first floor, are similar to Homewood, the houses on Pascault Row and other upscale Baltimore architecture from the early 19th century.

The Carroll Mansion is one of the few remaining buildings that illustrate the elegant lifestyle characteristic of this neighborhood during the early 19th century. After the centennial of the Star-Spangled Banner, the City of Baltimore became involved in the preservation of three properties: the Carroll Mansion, the Star Spangled Banner House and Mount Clare. The City purchased the Carroll Mansion and used it as a school for half a century until 1963 when it was restored and reopened as a house museum.

Carroll Mansion is located at 800 East Lombard St. in the northeast corner of Front and Lombard Sts. The Carroll Mansion is administered by Carroll Museums, Inc., and is open to the public on weekends.  For more information, please visit the Carroll Museums, Inc. website.


[photo] The Carroll Mansion
Photo by Jeff Joeckel, National Register of Historic Places

 

Previous Site | Next Site | Main Map | Baltimore Itinerary Home | Other Itineraries | NR Home


Comments or Questions


WW

[graphic] Link to the National Park Service website