Click here to skip the navigation, and go directly to the context of this page
 [graphic] Link to Ashland Home  [graphic] Link to Welcome Letter  [graphic] Link to Maps  [graphic] Link of List of Sites  [graphic] Link to Learn More  [graphic] Link to other Itineraries  [graphic] Link to NR Homepage
[graphic] Map of the state of Oregon, noting the location of Ashland with a star [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header   [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header
[graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header
[graphics] rotating images of Ashland
[graphic] Whittle Garage Building
 [graphic] link to previous site  [graphic] link to next site

[photo]
Street facade of Standing Stone Microbrewery
Photograph by Terry Skibby

The Whittle Garage Building has been used by a variety of businesses throughout its history. Completed in 1925 by Floyd Whittle, it is the best surviving example in Ashland's downtown of the simple, utilitarian falsefront commercial building type that dominated much of the southern Oregon's downtown landscape since the middle of the 19th century. It is also the only remaining example of the auto repair/machine shops and filling stations constructed in downtown Ashland during the first third of the 20th century, and one of the few early 20th-century industrial buildings remaining downtown. The Whittle Garage is a rather late example of a falsefront building, a vernacular type which arose in the 19th century (along with the advent of economical frame construction) that consisted of an extended fašade concealing the smaller frame and creating the impression of a larger business. Falsefronts easily adapted to the fire-resistant masonry construction needed for garages and new service industries introduced with the automobile. Historic photographs indicate that the original facade featured unpainted concrete with multipaned storefront windows.

[rotating photos] Historic images, c.1930s, during the time when the building was the garage, and an image from its days as the Pioneer Glass and Cabinet Shop
Garage images from the National Register collection, glass shop image courtesy of The Terry Skibby Collection

Known as the Pioneer Glass and Cabinet Shop from late 1953 until 1996, the building's poured concrete facade, simple storefront detail, and stepped parapet are remarkably faithful to their original design. The Pioneer Glass owners were originally hired to repair extensive damage to the building caused by a major fire; they then decided to move their business into the garage. Recently combining commitments to preservation and gastronomy, the Whittle Garage Building has been converted to a more public function. The current owners participated in the National Parks Service's Certified Rehabilitation program for which they received a historic preservation tax credit, and converted the garage into the Standing Stone Microbrewery and Restaurant. The building continues to retain its essential industrial character and open interior space while serving the economy of the city's thriving downtown.

The Whittle Garage Building (Standing Stone Microbrewery/Restaurant) is located at 101 Oak St. It is open to the public 11:00am to midnight daily. Call 541-482-2448 for further information.

[graphic] link to Applegate Trail Settlement essay
 [graphic] Link to Applegate Trail Settlement essay
[graphic] footer [graphic] Link to All the World's a Stage essay
 [graphic] link to Ashland's Golden Spike essay

Ashland Home | Main Map | List of Sites | Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site

Comments or Questions

JPJ/RQ/SB/YT

[graphic] Link to the National Park Service website