Click here to skip the navigation, and go directly to the context of this page
 [graphic] Link to Ashland Home  [graphic] Link to Welcome Letter  [graphic] Link to Maps  [graphic] Link of List of Sites  [graphic] Link to Learn More  [graphic] Link to other Itineraries  [graphic] Link to NR Homepage
[graphic] Map of the state of Oregon, noting the location of Ashland with a star [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header   [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header
[graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header
[graphics] rotating images of Ashland
[graphic] Trinity Episcopal Church
 [graphic] link to previous site  [graphic] link to next site

[photo]
Trinity Episcopal Church is the oldest church in Ashland
Photograph by Terry Skibby

Trinity Episcopal Church, constructed between 1894 and 1895 from drawings by local builder W. J. Schmidt, is the oldest church in Ashland, and the only 19th-century church still occupied by its original denomination. Trinity Church is a rectangular building of frame construction and sided with wood channel siding. Historical church fixtures include the brass altar cross donated in 1899 and the baptismal font of white Lucindo marble hand carved by Ashland craftsman Samuel Penniston that was acquired around 1905. One of two 19th-century churches in Ashland that retains its original architectural qualities, the building contains noticeable characteristics of the Gothic Revival style, including a steeply pitched gable roof, a pointed west window, a south porch with gable, and trussed rafter roof construction.

[photo]
Historic image of the Gothic Revival church c.1910
Courtesy of The Terry Skibby Collection

Located in the heart of Ashland, the church has maintained a strong relationship with the surrounding businesses and residential areas. In addition to being a house of worship, the church has cultivated its present position as an integral part of the community through its use for concerts, a facility for many Ashland institutions and organizations, and its close relationship throughout the years with the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. The changes made to the church over the years have not compromised its architectural integrity, as enlargements have been made with sensitive concern for the building's original design. The most recent addition attests to the congregation's continuing commitment to retaining Trinity's historical significance even as it grows to meet modern day needs.

Trinity Episcopal Church is located at 44 N. Second St. and is open to the public. Call 541-482-2656 or visit the church's website for a schedule of services.

[graphic] link to Applegate Trail Settlement essay
 [graphic] Link to Applegate Trail Settlement essay
[graphic] footer [graphic] Link to All the World's a Stage essay
 [graphic] link to Ashland's Golden Spike essay

Ashland Home | Main Map | List of Sites | Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site

Comments or Questions

JPJ/RQ/SB/YT

[graphic] Link to the National Park Service website