Click here to skip the navigation, and go directly to the context of this page
 [graphic] Link to Ashland Home  [graphic] Link to Welcome Letter  [graphic] Link to Maps  [graphic] Link of List of Sites  [graphic] Link to Learn More  [graphic] Link to other Itineraries  [graphic] Link to NR Homepage
[graphic] Map of the state of Oregon, noting the location of Ashland with a star [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header   [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header
[graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header
[graphics] rotating images of Ashland
[graphic] John and Charlotte Pelton House
 [graphic] link to previous site  [graphic] link to next site

[photograph] The Pelton House was built by W. J. Schmidt
Photograph by Terry Skibby

The John and Charlotte Pelton House was built in 1894 by Ashland builder W. J. Schmidt. The Peltons were natives of the Rogue Valley area; Charlotte's parents, Oscar and Lucinda Ganiard, were prominent members of Ashland's business and real estate community. John Pelton ran a meat business and served as Ashland's sheriff in 1892. Although the Peltons divorced in 1901, Charlotte lived in the house until her death in 1926. The two-story dwelling exhibits Stick style elements including wood frame construction, steeply pitched gabled roofs, a projecting bay, stickwork paneling, cut outs, sunbursts, and lattice trim as well as Eastlake details. The Pelton House is T-shaped with the parlor wing, the stem of the T, extending north toward B Street. By its size and distinction as an example of Eastlake architecture, the house is regarded as a pivotal building in the Railroad Addition Historic District. A one and one-half story rental house was also built south of the primary dwelling facing First Street.

[photograph] Historic image of the Pelton House, c 1900, during the residence of Charlotte Pelton
Courtesy of The Terry Skibby Collection

W. J. Schmidt, the Pelton House builder, came to Ashland in 1880, and was responsible for the design and construction of many distinctive houses and public buildings, including Ashland City Hall (1891), the G. M. and Kate Grainger House (1890) and Trinity Episcopal Church (1895). In August 1991 the Pelton House was seriously damaged by fire, causing a concerted effort on the part of the community to save it from demolition. The Historic Commission, City Council, and B Street Neighborhood Association all were concerned and fortunately the house was completely restored.

The Pelton House is located at 228 B. Street. It is a private residence and is not open to the public.

[graphic] link to Applegate Trail Settlement essay
 [graphic] Link to Applegate Trail Settlement essay
[graphic] footer [graphic] Link to All the World's a Stage essay
 [graphic] link to Ashland's Golden Spike essay

Ashland Home | Main Map | List of Sites | Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site

Comments or Questions

JPJ/RQ/SB/YT

[graphic] Link to the National Park Service website