[graphic] National Park Service arrowhead and link to NPS.gov
 [graphic] Amistad: Seeking Freedom in Connecticut: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
 [graphic] Link to Amistad Home Page  [graphic] Link to List of Sites Page  [graphic] Link to Maps Pages  [graphic] Link to Essays  [graphic] Link to Learn More Page  [graphic] Link to Itineraries Home Page  [graphic] Link to NR Home
[graphic] Link to Previous Site
[Graphic] Property Title
[graphic] Link to Next Site

[Photo]
The Samuel Deming House
Photo courtesy of the Farmington Historical Society

The Samuel Deming House, c. 1768, is one of several houses in this itinerary within the Farmington Historic District associated with the Mende's stay in Farmington. Houses in the historic district date from 1720 to 1835. Farmington was a prosperous commercial center and the 10th most populous town in the colonies at the time of the American revolution.

Samuel Deming was one of Farmington’s leading abolitionists. Along with Austin Williams and John Treadwell Norton, Deming supported the Amistad Africans during their trials and arranged to bring the Mende to Farmington after the trial while funds were raised to send them back to Sierra Leone. Deming was a legislator, merchant, farmer and one of the town’s most respected citizens and churchmen. He was a member of the Farmington Anti-Slavery Society, and a founder, with Norton, Williams and Horace Cowles, of the Connecticut Anti-Slavery Society in 1838.

[Photo]
Historic photo of Samuel Deming House
Photo courtesy of the Farmington Historical Society

His home, in the center of the town, has been traditionally known as a stop on the Underground Railroad (see our Underground Railroad itinerary)--a place where runaway slaves could seek refuge--and many freedom seekers were hidden there over the years. His wife, Catherine, was notable among the many local women who raised money and signed petitions to help the abolitionist and Amistad causes. Now owned by Miss Porter’s School, the house is marked by a plaque identifying it with Thomas Hart Hooker, its original builder and owner. Deming also made space available over his store (originally located on Main Street next to his home, later move around the corner to its present location at 2 Mill Lane) for sleeping quarters when the Mende Africans first arrived. Throughout their stay that space also served as their classroom.

The Samuel Deming House is located at 66 Main St. in the Farmington Historic District. Part of a Miss Porter’s School, a private girl’s school, the house is not open to the public

 [graphic] Link to Slave Trade Essay
 [graphic] Link to Amistad Story Essay  [graphic] Link to Timeline of Events Essay
 [graphic] Amistad Essays
 [graphic] Link to Connecticut Abolitionist Essay   [graphic] Link to Connecticut Freedom Trail Essay

Amistad Home | List of Sites | Maps| Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home |Next Site
Essays: Amistad Story | Timeline of Events| Slave Trade| Connecticut Abolitionists| Connecticut Freedom Trail |

Comments or Questions

JPJ/RQ/SB