Laborers work on Avalon Dam’s concrete and steel corewall, pictured here in 1907, View of the “A” frame used to lift arch forms at Bartlett Dam, A trestle system was used for construction at Grand Coulee Dam, 1937
Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itinerary
Bureau of Reclamation Historic Dams and Water Projects
Managing Water in the West

Leasburg Diversion Dam
New Mexico

Only 10 feet high, Leasburg Diversion Dam nonetheless plays an integral role in the historic Rio Grande Project.
Only 10 feet high, Leasburg Diversion Dam nonetheless plays an integral role in the historic Rio Grande Project.
National Park Service Elephant Butte Irrigation District
Leasburg Diversion Dam holds the distinction of being the first dam completed on the Bureau of Reclamation’s historic Rio Grande Project, which brought irrigation to the arid sagebrush and mesquite lands of west Texas and southeastern New Mexico. While long overshadowed by the 300-foot-high Elephant Butte Dam, the small-scale Leasburg Dam, at only 10 feet high, nonetheless plays an integral role in the Rio Grande Project. While Elephant Butte Dam and its reservoir store water for irrigation, the project’s six diversion dams funnel the water into canals, which carry it to irrigation lands. Leasburg Dam, completed in 1907, diverts the Rio Grande into the 13.7-mile-long Leasburg Canal, which carries water to irrigate the upper Mesilla Valley north of Las Cruces, New Mexico.

The Mesilla Valley has been utilized by a variety of cultures for thousands of years. Archeological surveys in the vicinity of Leasburg Dam have found evidence, including subterranean pits, which place the Jornada Mogollon people in the area a thousand years ago. In the 1700s and 1800s, the Chiricahua and Mescalero Apache lived here, while travelers heading north from Mexico City passed this way on the 1,500-mile El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro (the Royal Road of the Interior Land), which today is a National Historic Trail. Following the Mexican War, the region became part of the United States, which established Fort Selden, built of adobe, to guard the Rio Grande. The town of Leasburg grew up outside the fort. For years, a diversion dam and community ditch at the head of the upper Mesilla Valley served Spaniards, Mexicans and Americans alike. Historian Robert Autobee describes the old diversion dam as “an obstruction” built of poles and interwoven with twigs and stones for ballast.

With authorization of the Rio Grande Project on December 2, 1905, the U.S. Reclamation Service (today’s Bureau of Reclamation) designed a 10-foot-high, 600-foot-long concrete weir to replace the old twig and stone diversion dam. Work commenced on the weir (a low dam where the water flows over the top) on November 20, 1906. By 1908, the Rio Grande was being diverted into the Leasburg Canal to irrigate 31,600 acres in the upper Mesilla Valley. Nine miles south of the dam, the 502-foot-long, steel truss Picacho Flume carried canal water over the Rio Grande.

U.S. Reclamation Service Camp at Leasburg Diversion Dam, March 12, 1907.
U.S. Reclamation Service Camp at Leasburg Diversion Dam, March 12, 1907.
Bureau of Reclamation Archives


Leasburg Diversion Dam was about 65 miles downstream from the site proposed for the Rio Grande Project’s flagship storage dam--Elephant Butte, which proved slow in coming. Negotiations with the Victorio Land & Cattle Company over the purchase price for 33,000 acres (much of it destined to be submerged under New Mexico’s largest reservoir) meant Elephant Butte did not get off the ground until late 1911. By the time Elephant Butte Dam was completed on May 13, 1916, Leasburg and its dam tender had been at work for nearly a decade.

With completion of Elephant Butte Dam, five other diversion dams joined Leasburg on the Rio Grande Project, including the National Register listed Percha Diversion Dam, completed in 1918, and Mesilla Diversion Dam in 1916. Percha Dam retains its original height, but the crest of Leasburg Dam was raised 1.25 feet in 1919, and that of Mesilla 1.66 feet in 1940. While not listed individually on the National Register of Historic Places, both dams are contributing features of the National Register listed Elephant Butte Irrigation District, as is the Leasburg Dam Tender’s Residence, which today is part of New Mexico’s Leasburg Dam State Park, 15 miles north of Las Cruces.
Plan your visit
Leasburg Diversion Dam is on the Rio Grande, 18 miles north of Las Cruces, NM. From Las Cruces, take Interstate 25 north to Exit 19 toward Radium Springs. Turn left onto Fort Selden Rd. and right onto Leasburg Dam Rd., which continues as Dona Ana Rd. Access to Leasburg Diversion Dam, as well as the National Register-listed Dam Tender’s Residence, is within New Mexico’s Leasburg Dam State Park. The park, which is open daily, 7am to sunset, includes a visitor’s center. The park entrance fee is $5 per vehicle, although bicyclists and walk-ins are free.

Leasburg Dam and the Dam Tender’s Residence are contributing features of the National Register-listed Elephant Butte Irrigation District. Click here for the National Register of Historic Places registration file: text and photos. For information, click here for the Bureau of Reclamation's Rio Grande Project and the Leasburg Diversion Dam website. One may also call the park at 575-524-4068 or visit the Leasburg Dam State Park website. Click here for information on the El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro National Historical Trail.
top
Next page
Comments or Questions

Itinerary Home | List of sites | Maps | Learn More | Credits | Other Itineraries | NR Home | Search