The Cabbagetown District, east of downtown Atlanta, originally consisted
of the Fulton Bag and Cotton Mill and the housing built for the factory
workers. The mill is a complex of buildings constructed primarily
between 1881 and 1922. The main factory buildings are five-story brick
buildings designed in a Neo-Romanesque style. Two of the three original
mill buildings remain today. Founded by Jacob Elsas, the mill manufactured
standard-sized cotton bags at a time when most of the cotton in the
South was being shipped to the North to be processed.
View of Cabbagetown houses from Oakland Cemetery
Courtesy of the Atlanta Urban Design Commission
Because this area of Atlanta was sparsely populated in the late 19th
century, the owners of the mill company decided to erect housing for
its employees. Housing along the streets was built at different times.
The houses, situated on very small, narrow lots, vary in type from
shotgun cottages to more sophisticated bungalows. Many of the houses
have Victorian ornamentation that is mostly evident in their porches,
doors, and windows. The first housing section, known as the "Factory
Lot," was built around 1881 but is no longer extant. The oldest remaining
houses were built between 1886 and 1892 along Reinhardt Street. Much
of the housing was without plumbing and electricity until well into
the 20th century. Hydrants located on back porches and the outhouses
were replaced with indoor plumbing in the 1940s. Kerosene lamps and
coal heaters were replaced in 1950 when the houses were wired for
lights. A park known as "Noah's Ark" due to a nearby large, one-story
apartment building provided recreational space for the community.
There was also a baseball field in Cabbagetown, known as "Red Hill"
because of the red clay of the field.
Rowhouses in the district, with
one of the mill buildings in the background
National Register photograph by Yen Tang
The mill maintained the entire neighborhood and its lawns. It
also provided garbage, security, medical, dental, library and nursery
services for its employees. Only when the Elsas family sold the
mill in 1957 did most of these services end. At the time the mill
was sold, the residences were offered to their respective tenants.
Those buildings not bought were sold in groups to non-residents.
The mill itself was closed in 1977 and remained vacant until the
mid-1990s when the complex was converted into loft apartments. Occasional
commercial enterprises are found through the village, most of which
are long-established family-run stores that serve the immediate
community and its needs.
The Cabbagetown District is bounded by Oakland Cemetery, Boulevard
and Pearl sts., Memorial Dr., and the Georgia Railroad tracks. The
houses in the district are private residences and are not open to