Howard Lodge, constructed ca. 1750, is one of the earliest surviving buildings in Howard County, Maryland. The land upon which Howard Lodge sits was granted by patent from Lord Baltimore to John Taillor [Taylor] in 1727. Known as “Taylors Park,” it consisted of 1,500 acres. Taillor died in Great Britain at an unknown date and his daughter, Margaret Higginson, inherited the property, and sold half of it to John Dorsey (1688-1764), a native of Oxford, England, who made his way to the American colonies. The Howard Lodge sits on the Dorsey tract, and was built for Dorsey’s son Edward. The complex consists of a mid-18th century brick house, a stone dairy, a stone smokehouse, stone springhouse ruins, a garage and a barn rebuilt on an old stone foundation.
Read the full file on the Howard Lodge
To see more photographs of National Register properties go
to our photostream on Flickr.
See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)