National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program:
W. Henry Lewis House,
Polk County, Florida

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

[Graphic] Weekly Highlight Property

The W. Henry Lewis House, built in 1901, is a two-story wooden Queen Anne style home, and retains a very high level of historic physical integrity. The town of Fort Meade, where the house is located, was incorporated in January 1885, and stood on land contested during the earlier Seminole Wars in Florida. W. Henry Lewis arrived in the town (before incorporation) in 1883 and from 1890 to 1891 served as town alderman. Lewis had been a successful cattleman working around the Kissimmee River since 1858. He remained in the cattle business and in later years also raised citrus. The W. Henry Lewis House is a distinctive variation of the Queen Anne Style of architecture, developed by English architect Richard Norman Shaw for grand manor houses in the 1860s. Typically expansive in scale with steeply pitched roofs and gable extensions, bay extensions and towers often protruding from house corners, the Queen Anne style of architecture became too large for America’s diminishing family size, and was soon eclipsed in the early 20th century by the Colonial Revival and Prairie styles.

Read the full file on the W. Henry Lewis House

To see more photographs of National Register properties go to our photostream on Flickr.

See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)