The Siebels' Department Store--Boyer Valley Bank is important in local history for being one of the largest, longest-lasting and well-known stores in Woodbine, Iowa. In the early 1900s, the railroads that founded many town sites brought a money economy to the frontier as well as wholesalers interested in purchasing farm products. Adolph Siebels, who grew up in Minden, Iowa, and learned the mercantile trade there, was one such man who understood the new economy. Moving to Woodbine in 1904 and purchasing the existing grocery business, Siebels expanded his businesses and eventually incorporate the Siebels’ Department Store in 1911. A solid local example of a rectangular, brick two-story, two-part commercial block, the Siebels' Department Store--Boyer Valley Bank is located on the northwest corner of the intersection at the center of Woodbine’s downtown. The building occupies two lots and is distinctive because of its Italianate detailing. Originally constructed in 1878 on the front half of lot 13, the building has an “L” shaped addition on the remainder of lot 13 and all of lot 14 that was completed in April 1902. The Siebels’ store consolidated into the first floor of the building on lots 13 and 14, and out of the front of the first floor of the building on lot 15, which it owned. The second building, located on lot 15, was constructed in 1907 and fills the entire lot. A two-part commercial block, this building was completed in the commercial style with minimal Italianate detailing on its primary façade.
Read the full file on Siebels' Department Store--Boyer Valley Bank
To see more photographs of National Register properties go
to our photostream on Flickr.
See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)