The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International Headquarters Building was built in 1956 as the international office of the Delta Kappa Gamma Society, an organization founded in 1929 to improve women’s opportunities in the field of education. Organized by twelve women in Austin, Texas, the Delta Kappa Gamma Society expanded to all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Canada to include a membership of 72,021 women by 1960. The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International Headquarters Building continues to serve its original function today. The building is important to educational history as the international headquarters of a significant organization that supports the role of women in education through scholarships and fellowship programs. The Delta Kappa Gamma Society was conceived by a female University of Texas professor who envisioned equal opportunities for women educators.
Read the full file on Delta Kappa Gamma Society International Headquarters Building
To see more photographs of National Register properties go
to our photostream on Flickr.
See our Weekly List
(with previous highlights)