The Glenn Dale Tuberculosis Hospital and Sanatorium was constructed specifically
to house and treat children and adults suffering from tuberculosis.
The campus demonstrates the struggle of the District of Columbia
to combat the public health treat caused by tuberculosis during
the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Glenn Dale
was owned and operated by the District, and is located only
15 miles outside the city, providing the remote setting and
abundant fresh air that were considered ideal in the treatment
of the disease, as the continued inclusion of the stricken in
the District’s general population without adequate care was
viewed as a serious public health threat. Glenn Dale provided
free medical care to its patients.
There are seventeen buildings on the campus dating from 1933
– 1959 which contribute to the significance of the complex.
The campus included interrelated medical, residential and mechanical
buildings and landscaped areas, the majority of which remain
intact with a high level of historical integrity. The classical
detailing of the buildings and the interconnected series of
pedestrian and vehicular circulation paths all contribute to
its historical and architectural significance as a distinguishable,
unified, representative example of a twentieth-century therapeutic
To read the full
file on the Glenn Dale Tuberculosis Hospital and Sanatorium.
To see more photographs of National Register properties go to our photostream on Flickr.
See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)