|Built in 1886 by the United States Life-Saving Service, the Ocean City Life-Saving Station is of state and local significance under criterion A/history in the area of transportation and maritime history and C/architecture as a largely intact example of a coastal rescue station that played an important role in the maritime history of New Jersey. This station was one of forty-five stations established on the New Jersey coast, and two hundred and ninety-two in the United States before the modern Coast Guard was formed in 1915, and is one of fifteen in the state that still survive from this period. Maritime trade has played a vital role in the state's economy, and the New Jersey coast saw some of the heaviest coastal traffic in the nation. The Life-Saving Service, and later the Coast Guard, has served an important function by helping to safeguard the crews who man these ships by warning them of dangers and rescuing crews of ships that ran aground. During World War II the Station housed personnel who were part of a state and nationwide network that patrolled the beach looking for saboteurs and German submarines off the coast. On a local level the Station is significant for the rescue of the thirty-five-man crew of the 329-foot bark Sindia that ran aground off the Station in 1901, and for its role in the rescue of the crews of numerous small boats and swimmers in danger near the Station. After closing in 1936, the 1886 Station was reopened in the spring of 1941 to house personnel and equipment for the World War II-era beach patrols that looked for saboteurs and Getman submarines off the coast. Southern New Jersey was an area important to the country's national defenses during the war because the Delaware Bay was at the entrance to the port city of Philadelphia. The Station was finally closed permanently in 1945 and sold for use as a private residence. Architecturally the Station is significant as the only surviving example of the four 1882-Type stations built in New Jersey, and as one of the six surviving of this type out of the twenty-five built on the U.S. coast between 1882 and 1891.