|The 63rd Army Air Forces Contract Pilot School (Primary) is significant under National Register Criterion A at the state level in the area of military history because it represents the mobilization and training of American pilots before and during World War II and because it is the most intact of the eight pilot training schools built in Georgia and among the 75 built throughout the nation. By war's end, the Contract Pilot School in Douglas had as many as 1,000 civilian employees and trained roughly 9,000 cadets with a dropout rate of roughly 30 percent. Nationwide, the Army Air Force trained 250,000 pilots. The Contract Pilot School is significant under National Register Criterion C at the state level in the area of architecture because its symmetrical layout around an open quadrangle is typical of military base designs that provided efficient communication from one building to another. The buildings are mostly characteristic of military construction during World War II, providing, for example, buildings for administration, training, barracks, dining halls, and recreation. Designed by Miami Beach architect Stefan H. Zachar and approved by the Army Corps of Engineers, many of the buildings were built with permanent concrete and tile materials, unlike most temporary wood-frame military construction of the era. The Contract Pilot School is significant under Criterion C at the state level in the engineering because the PT-17- Stearman biplane in Hangar 2 is an excellent example of the type of aircraft that served as a primary trainer for cadets who were receiving their first flight hours. Manufactured by Boeing in 1943, the restored Stearman biplane in Douglas retains a high level of historic integrity and is housed in a World War 11-era hangar.