National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program:
Landscape Architecture Month - Showcase
Woodward Park and Gardens Historic District

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

National Register coordinators were invited to submit images of designed landscaes listed in the National Register that they think are among the best in their state.

Woodward Park and Gardens Historic District

Click on image for larger size
Photograph courtesy of Oklahoma State Historic Preservation Office

Woodward Park and Gardens Historic District

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Reference Number:14000054

THE WOODWARD PARK AND GARDENS HISTORIC DISTRICT IS NOMINATED FOR LISTING ON THE NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES AT THE LOCAL LEVEL OF SIGNIFICANCE UNDER CRITERION C, IN THE AREA OF LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE, AS AN EXCELLENT EXAMPLE OF A DESIGNED LANDSCAPE IN THE CITY OF TULSA, OKLAHOMA, AND AS ONE OF THE FINEST PUBLIC GARDENS ESTABLISHED IN THE CITY DURING THE FIRST HALF OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY. WOODWARD PARK IS BEST KNOWN FOR TWO GARDEN AREAS—THE UPPER AND LOWER ROCK GARDENS, AND THE FORMAL TERRACES OF THE TULSA ROSE GARDEN—THAT WERE ESTABLISHED DURING THE 1930S USING PUBLIC MONIES AND CONSTRUCTED BY LABORERS ENROLLED IN WORK‐RELIEF PROGRAMS. THE WOODWARD PARK AND GARDENS HISTORIC DISTRICT IS ALSO ELIGIBLE TO BE LISTED TO THE NATIONAL REGISTER AT THE LOCAL LEVEL UNDER CRITERION C FOR ARCHITECTURE, FOR THE DAVID R. TRAVIS HOUSE, AN ITALIAN RENAISSANCEINSPIRED VILLA DESIGNED BY ARCHITECT NOBLE B. FLEMING AND CONSTRUCTED IN 1919. THE CITY OF TULSA PURCHASED THE TRAVIS HOUSE IN 1954 TO SERVE AS THE TULSA GARDEN CENTER, AND IT HAS FUNCTIONED IN THIS CAPACITY SINCE THEN. THE GROUNDS OF THE TULSA GARDEN CENTER INCLUDE OTHER DESIGNED LANDSCAPE FEATURES AND RELATED BUILDINGS, SUCH AS A STONE DRIVEWAY, A BRICK CARRIAGE HOUSE, A SUNKEN GARDEN, A GLASS CONSERVATORY FROM THE LORD & BURNHAM COMPANY, AND A LARGE, FRAMED BARN THAT NOW SERVES AS THE LEARNING CENTER OF THE LINNAEUS TEACHING GARDENS. FOR ITS ASSOCIATION WITH THE ACTIVITIES OF THE TULSA GARDEN CLUB AND THE TULSA GARDEN CENTER, THE WOODWARD PARK AND GARDENS HISTORIC DISTRICT IS ALSO ELIGIBLE TO BE LISTED ON THE NATIONAL REGISTER AT THE LOCAL LEVEL OF SIGNIFICANCE UNDER CRITERION A, IN THE AREA OF ENTERTAINMENT/RECREATION. THE DISTRICT INCLUDES THE FIRST MUNICIPAL ROSE GARDEN ESTABLISHED IN THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA, AND THE PARK AND ITS GARDENS CONTINUE TO SERVE AS THE PREMIERE ENVIRONMENT IN THE CITY OF TULSA FOR THE PUBLIC’S ENJOYMENT AND KNOWLEDGE OF ORNAMENTAL HORTICULTURE AND TREES.

For more information:
http://www.ocgi.okstate.edu/shpo/shpopic.asp?id=14000054
(links to Oklahoma State Historic Preservation Office website)