1. Have you located the necessary sources to conduct the research?
2. Do you know the broader national story associated with your property?
3. What is the important role your property played within that national story?
4. Have you located comparable properties?
5. Do you know how your property compares to these other properties?
6. Have you considered architectural research?
7. Have you considered archeological research?
photograph by rethought via Flickr
Middleton Place, SC: This property's spacious grounds constitute the first landscaped gardens in America, with molded terraces descending to two butterfly shaped lakes. The original house was burned by Union troops in 1865, and only one wing, dating from 1755, survives. Middleton Place was the estate of its namesake family, prominent members of government in Colonial times, including Arthur Middleton (1742-1787), a member of the Continental Congress and a signer of the Declaration of Independence.