[Federal Register: August 21, 2009 (Volume 74, Number 161)]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
National Park Service
Notice of Inventory Completion: The Public Museum, Grand Rapids,
AGENCY: National Park Service, Interior.
Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves
Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the
completion of an inventory of human remains and associated funerary
objects in the possession of The Public Museum, Grand Rapids, MI. The
human remains and associated funerary objects were removed from the Ada
site, Kent County, MI.
This notice is published as part of the National Park Service's
administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003 (d)(3).
The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the
museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native
American human remains and associated funerary objects. The National
Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice.
A detailed assessment of the human remains and associated funerary
objects was made by The Public Museum's professional staff in
consultation with the Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa
Indians, Michigan; Little River Band of Ottawa Indians, Michigan; and
Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians, Michigan.
On unknown dates, human remains representing a minimum of 27
individuals were removed from the south (west) bank of the Grand River
at the Ada Michigan site (20KT35) in Kent County, MI, by Ruth Herrick
and several other avocational archeologists. Starting in 1947, and
continuing in 1949, 1974, 1983 and 1994, the human remains and
associated funerary objects were obtained by The Public Museum by
Herrick through purchase or donation. In 1974, the largest source of
the collection came to the museum from Dr. Ruth Herrick by bequest. No
known individuals were identified. The 6,404 associated funerary
objects are 61 brooches and pins; 286 fragmented pipes; 44 silver
crosses and fragments; 55 gun flints; 318 metal fragments; 41 copper
kettle fragments; 10 strike-a-lights and fragments; 507 ceramic and
glass shards; 122 projectile points; 25 metal knives and fragments; 2
buttons; 2,182 trade beads; 85 stone tools; 50 nails; 27 buttons; 2
necklaces; 14 earrings and fragments; 2 tacks; 17 sets of cloth and
leather fragments; 16 bracelets and fragments; 10 bullets; 867 pottery
shards; 4 copper hair pipes; 33 spoons and fragments; 8 axes; 222
animal bone fragments; 4 unmodified lithics; 11 fire cracked rocks; 5
copper kettles; 1 leather knife sheath; 1 mirror; 2 forks; 31 shells
and fragments; 8 shell beads; 1 bell; 12 turtle shell fragments; 2
pendants; 6 thimbles; 3 rings; 3 wood fragments; 1,242 chert flakes; 1
horse shoe; 9 awls; 7 fossils; 4 fish hooks; 1 penny dated 1888; 6
antler fragments; 2 marbles; 5 metal spikes; 9 silver armbands; 1
silver gorget; 1 set of red ochre; 1 red ochre stained paint pot; 1
coin dated 1885; 1 coin dated 1883; 1 coin dated 1847; 1 coin dated
1820; 1 coin dated 1825; 1 coin dated 1832; 1 coin with date unknown; 3
bone gaming pieces; 1 bone comb; 1 George III peace medal; and 3
Artifacts from this site are from two discrete time periods. The
first is a prehistoric occupation (15th century), and the second time
period is an 18th-19th century Native American occupation. Based on the
site's geographical location at the confluence of the Grand and
Thornapple Rivers, archeological evidence indicates this site was
intermittently occupied from prehistoric times into the historic era,
including a trading post operated by Rix Robinson in the vicinity of
this site (1821 to 1834). Based on field notes, collection records, and
artifact typology, the majority of the human remains and associated
artifacts date to the 18th and 19th century.
The human remains and associated funerary objects are, by a
preponderance of the evidence, found to have an affiliation to the
Little River Band of Ottawa Indians. Many Little River Ottawa Band
members are descendants of Grand River Band members who migrated from
the Grand River area to the Little Manistee River area in more recent
historic times. The historic occupation of Kent County, MI, by the
Little River Bands of Ottawa Indians is well documented.
Officials of The Public Museum have determined that, pursuant to 25
U.S.C. 3001 (9-10), the human remains described above represent the
physical remains of 27 individuals of Native American ancestry.
Officials of The Public Museum also have determined that, pursuant to
25 U.S.C. 3001 (3)(A), the 6,404 associated funerary objects described
above are reasonably believed to have been placed with or near
individual remains at the time of death or later as part of the death
rite or ceremony. Lastly, officials of The Public Museum have
determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (2), there is a
relationship of shared group identity that can be reasonably traced
between the Native American human remains and associated funerary
objects and the Little River Band of Ottawa Indians, Michigan.
Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to
be culturally affiliated with the human remains and associated funerary
objects should contact Marilyn Merdzinski, Director of Collections and
Preservation, The Public Museum, 272 Pearl St. NW., Grand Rapids, MI
49504, telephone (616) 456-3521, before September 21, 2009.
Repatriation of the human remains and associated funerary objects to
the Little River Band of Ottawa Indians, Michigan may proceed after
that date if no additional claimants come forward.
The Public Museum is responsible for notifying the Grand Traverse
Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians, Michigan; Little River Band of
Ottawa Indians, Michigan; and Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa
Indians, Michigan that this notice has been published.
Dated: July 30, 2009
Manager, National NAGPRA Program.
[FR Doc. E9-20100 Filed 8-20-09; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4312-50-S
Back to the top