FR Doc 2010-15570[Federal Register: June 28, 2010 (Volume 75, Number 123)]
[Notices]               
[Page 36670-36671]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr28jn10-81]                         

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

National Park Service
 
Notice of Inventory Completion: Wisconsin Historical Society, 
Museum Division, Madison, WI

AGENCY: National Park Service, Interior.

ACTION: Notice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves 
Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the 
completion of an inventory of human remains in the possession of the 
Wisconsin Historical Society (aka State Historical Society of 
Wisconsin), Museum Division, Madison, WI. The human remains were 
removed from Fort Berthold, Berthold Ward County, ND.
    This notice is published as part of the National Park Service's 
administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003(d)(3). The 
determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the 
museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native 
American human remains. The National Park Service is not responsible 
for the determinations in this notice.
    An assessment of the human remains was done by Wisconsin Historical 
Society professional staff in consultation with the Three Affiliated 
Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation, North Dakota.
    In 1878, human remains representing a minimum of two individuals 
were removed from Fort Berthold, in Berthold Ward County, ND, by J.A. 
Rice. The two skulls were donated to the Wisconsin Historical Society 
in 1908. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary 
objects are present.
    The Wisconsin Historical Society determined that the remains 
represent two adult males of Native American ancestry. The Mandan, 
Hidatsa, and Arikara tribes, also known as the Three Affiliated Tribes 
of the Fort Berthold Reservation, North Dakota, have been living in the 
Fort Berthold area since 1845. According to historical records, the 
original fort was erected as a trading post and named Fort Atkinson. In 
1862, it was purchased by the American Fur Company and re-named Fort 
Berthold. In 1864, United States troops were assigned to the fort to 
protect the trading post. The post was evacuated in 1867. In 1868, it 
became the agency headquarters for the Arikara, Hidatsa, and Mandan 
tribes.
    Officials of the Wisconsin Historical Society, Museum Division, 
have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001(9), the human remains 
described above represent the physical remains of two individuals of 
Native American ancestry. Officials of the Wisconsin Historical 
Society, Museum Division, have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 
3001(2), there is a relationship of shared group identity that can be 
reasonably traced between the human remains and the Three Affiliated 
Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation, North Dakota.
    Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to 
be culturally affiliated with the human remains should contact Jennifer 
L. Kolb, Wisconsin Historical Museum, 30 N. Carroll St., Madison, WI 
53703, telephone (608) 261-2461, before July 28, 2010. Repatriation of 
the human remains to the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold 
Reservation, North Dakota, may proceed after that date if no additional 
claimants come forward.
    The Wisconsin Historical Society is responsible for notifying the 
Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation, North Dakota, 
that this notice has been published.


[[Page 36671]]


    Dated: June 22, 2010
Sherry Hutt,
Manager, National NAGPRA Program.
[FR Doc. 2010-15570 Filed 6-25-10; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4312-50-S



Back to the top