FR Doc 04-22828
[Federal Register: October 12, 2004 (Volume 69, Number 196)]
[Notices]               
[Page 60661-60662]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr12oc04-101]                         

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

National Park Service

 
Notice of Inventory Completion: Oregon State University, 
Corvallis, OR

AGENCY: National Park Service, Interior.

ACTION: Notice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY: Pursuant to the Native American Graves Protection and 
Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), the Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 
(museum that has control of the cultural items), determined that the 
physical remains of 28 individuals of Native American ancestry in the 
museum's collections, described below in Information about cultural 
items, are culturally affiliated with the Confederated Tribes of the 
Grand Ronde Community of Oregon.
    The National Park Service publishes this notice on behalf of the 
museum as part of the National Park Service's administrative 
responsibilities under NAGPRA. The museum is solely responsible for 
information and determinations stated in this notice. The National Park 
Service is not responsible for the museum's determinations.
    Information about NAGPRA is available online at http://www.cr.nps.gov/nagpra
.


DATES: Repatriation of the cultural items to the Indian tribe listed 
above in Summary may proceed after November 12, 2004, if no additional 
claimants come forward. Representatives of any other Indian tribe that 
believes itself to be culturally affiliated with the cultural items 
should contact the museum before November 12, 2004.


SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: 
    Authority. 25 U.S.C. 3001 et seq. and 43 CFR Part 10.
    Contact Contact Orcilia Zuniga-Forbes, Vice President for 
University Advancement, Oregon State University, 634 Kerr 
Administration Building, Corvallis, OR 97331, telephone (541) 737-4875, 
regarding determinations stated in this notice or to claim the cultural 
items described in this notice.
    Consultation.The museum identified the cultural items and the 
cultural affiliation of the cultural items in consultation with 
representatives of the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community 
of Oregon and Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Reservation, Oregon.

    Information about cultural items. Between 1860 and 1919, Dr. J.L. 
Hill or another individual removed human remains representing a minimum 
of 13 individuals from the Calapooia Mounds site, Linn County, OR. A 
published source states that Dr. Hill worked at the Calapooia Mounds 
site in 1883, but it is not clear whether Dr. Hill removed the 13 
individuals from the Calapooia Mounds site at that time. No other 
provenance documentation is available. The status of the land at the 
time of removal is unknown. No known individual was identified. No 
associated funerary objects are present.

    Between 1860 and 1919, Dr. Hill, J.G. Crawford, or another 
individual removed human remains representing a minimum of 15 
individuals from the Tangent and/or Calapooia Mounds sites, Linn 
County, OR. A 1930 document lists J.G. Crawford as an original donor 
along with Dr. Hill. The museum does not have information about how Dr. 
Hill or Mr. Crawford acquired the human remains. The only provenance 
documentation available is a label on a rib, which says ``From Tangent 
Mound,'' and a partial label on a femur, which says ``mound.'' The 
status of the land at the time of removal is unknown. No known 
individual was identified. No associated funerary objects are present.
    The human remains are part of the Dr. J.L. Hill collection. The 
Museum of Oregon Country, Oregon Agricultural College acquired the 
collection from Dr. Hill's son and daughter in 1925. The Museum of 
Oregon Country was renamed the John B. Horner Museum of the Oregon 
Country in 1936, and became commonly known as the Horner Museum. The 
Oregon Agricultural College was renamed the Oregon State College in 
1937, and became Oregon State University in 1962. The Horner Museum 
closed in 1995. Currently, cultural items from the Horner Museum are 
referred to as the Horner Collection, which is owned by, and in the 
possession of, Oregon State University.
    The Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon is 
made up of tribes from throughout western Oregon, which were later 
located on the Grand Ronde Reservation. The ceded lands for the 
Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon encompass 
the Tangent and the Calapooia Mounds sites.
    Determinations. Under 25 U.S.C. 3003, museum officials determined 
that the human remains represent the physical remains of 28 individuals 
of Native American ancestry. Museum officials determined that the human

[[Page 60662]]

remains are culturally affiliated with the Indian tribe listed above in 
Summary.
    Notification. The museum is responsible for sending copies of this 
notice to the Indian tribe listed above in Consultation.

    Dated: August 16, 2004.
Sherry Hutt,
Manager, National NAGPRA Program
[FR Doc. 04-22828 Filed 10-8-04; 8:45 am]

BILLING CODE 4312-50-S
Back to the top

Back to National NAGPRA