Photo 5: Little Rock Central High School today.
Central High's dedication program indicated that the building had 100 classrooms with a capacity to seat 3,000 students. The building is 564 feet long and 365 feet wide. Other features of the building included an auditorium that seated 2,000, a cafeteria that seated 910, a greenhouse for biology and other science work, and 3,000 built-in or recessed lockers.
Questions for Photo 5
1. How would you describe this building?
2. Why do you think the residents of Little Rock were willing to spend so much money on this school? What does this indicate about the importance placed on education in the community?
3. How does the size, building style, building materials, etc. of Central High compare to that of the Canterbury Boarding School?
4. How does Central High's appearance compare to that of your school? What might account for some of the differences?
* The photo on the screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Photo 5, but be aware that the file will take as much as two minutes to load with a 28.8K modem.