Drawing 1: Terminal station and surrounding area.
The terminal and other nearby rail facilities directly affected the way the surrounding neighborhood was built. Each of the letters on the map identifies a specific use: hotels (A); factories (B); warehouses (C); stores (D); and residences (E). Using this key, answer the following questions about how owners of these facilities chose their locations.
Questions for Drawing 1
1. Study Drawing 1, which shows the area around Terminal Station. Locate Terminal Station and identify any other rail facilities.
2. Which owners would want to be close to the station?
3. Which owners would want to be close to the tracks?
4. Which owners would want to be away from the railroad?
5. Which owners would be able/willing to pay the most for a specific location?
6. Which owners would want their business to be on a main street? Which facilities could be on alleys?
* The drawing on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Drawing 1, but be aware that the file will take as much as 35 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.