Photo 1: Vieux Carré street scene.
in the Vieux Carré.
Questions for Photos 1-3
1. Compare Photos 1 and 2. What are your impressions of the two street scenes? What adjectives would you use to describe them? What characteristics give you clues about Vieux Carré's surrounding natural environment? Refer to Map 3 if needed.
2. Examine Photo 3. What characteristic is particularly noteworthy when describing this scene?
3. Note in Photo 3 that the interior of each block is a honeycomb of private spaces. Why might these courtyards have been located where they are? What are the possible advantages of having outdoor space in the form of courtyards?
4. Compare and contrast these scenes to your own community. How are they different? In what ways are they alike? Would you like to live in this type of environment? Why or why not?
* The photos on this screen have a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Photo 1, Photo 2, and Photo 3, but be aware that each file will take as much as 34 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.