Questions for Photo 5
1. What were some of the modern features Dr. Pope added to his house? Where was the house located? Why do you think the house was such a source of pride to him and his family?
2. If you rode by this house among the skyscrapers of downtown Raleigh, would you notice it? Do you think it would make any difference in understanding the history of Raleigh if the house were to be torn down? Why or why not?
3. Compare Photo 5 to Maps 1 and 2. What has happened to the thriving community of houses, churches, and businesses that once surrounded the Pope house?
4) Are there communities in your area that have been lost due to development? Why do you think it is important to preserve historic sites like the Pope house and learn about the history attached to places in our local communities?
* The photo on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Photo 5, but be aware that the file will take as much as 40 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.