1. Why might Brucemore be considered a "country estate"? Using Map 2, locate the features listed on the Map Key. Next to each item listed above, describe the work needed to maintain them.
2. Locate the servants' duplex. The head gardener and servants with families usually lived there. What do you think were some of the advantages and disadvantages of living on the estate with their employers?
3. Some of the servant staff lived in the mansion. What might be some of the advantages and disadvantages of living in the same house as their employers?
4. Using the scale provided on Map 2, determine how many feet it is from First Ave. to the mansion. Why might the mansion be set back so far from the main street?
* The map on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Map 2, but be aware that the file may take as much as 50 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.