Photograph by ©Michael Richman)
Questions for Photos 7-9
1. These photos show stages in the creation of the statue of Abraham Lincoln for the Lincoln Memorial. What differences can you identify between the sketch model and the working model? French rarely changed the basic design he created for the sketch. How do you think the changes you identified affected the final sculpture?
2. What changes can you see between the working model and the final statue?
3. Why do you think French was so concerned about the effect of the lighting in the Lincoln Memorial on the statue?
4. French wanted Lincoln's face to show the dignity of the man, but also the agony of the Civil War leader. Do you think the finished statue reflected the qualities he was hoping to capture? Why or why not?
* The photos on this screen have a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Photo 7, Photo 8, and Photo 9, but be aware that the file will take as much as 35 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.