National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program:
Elkhorn Band Shell, Sunset Park, Wisconsin

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

[Graphic] Weekly Highlight Property

The Elkhorn Band Shell, located near the center of Sunset Park on the west side of Elkhorn, Wisconsin, was built in 1926 for roughly $5,000 by local contractor Jake Bauerman. Commissioned by the city council in Elkhorn for the Holton-Elkhorn Band and based on a design by a G. Pheby of Phoenix, Arizona, the Elkton Band Shell reflected Elkhorn’s strong musical history. The Frank Holton Company, which produced brass band instruments, had moved from Chicago to Elkhorn in 1917. Founded by Frank Holton, who played trombone in John Phillp Sousa’s band, the Holton Company moved to Elkhorn when business leaders from the town financed a new factory to lure the company from Chicago. At the local concert held in Mid-August of 1926, the local paper reported that an estimated 4,000 people came to hear the Holton-Elkhorn Band in their new band shell. When the County Courthouse expanded and threatened the Elkhorn Band Shell in 1963, concerned citizens acted to preserve it, and the Elkhorn Band Shell was moved to Sunset Park. The Elkhorn Band Shell is a fine and well preserved example of an innovative 1920s band shell.

Read the full file on the Elkhorn Band Shell

To see more photographs of National Register properties go to our photostream on Flickr.

See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)