|Hyde Park is nominated under Criterion A for its significance at the state level in the areas of agriculture, social history, and ethnic heritage. Hyde Park is also nominated under Criterion C at the local level for its embodiment of evolved mid-nineteenth-century Federal-style architecture, with late nineteenth- and early twentieth-century Greek Revival- and Colonial Revival-style additions, and for its mid-twentieth-century vernacular adaptations of institutional farm architecture. Its buildings remain largely unaltered since the mid-twentieth century and its woods, fields, and farm roads evoke a landscape from the mid-nineteenth century. The property' s history encompasses early tobacco culture of central Virginia, the rise of milling in the nineteenth century, and the growth of the dairy, poultry, and cattle industries during the early twentieth century. The property's successful operation provided the opportunity for agriculturally skilled Jewish refugees from Nazi Germany to Immigrate to America and expand the farm's productivity during the 1930s and early 1940s. During and after World War II, Hyde Park continued to provide refuge and agricultural opportunities after the Gross Breesen families left, specifically for families of soldiers from nearby Fort Pickett and Polish refugees Tadeusz and Stanislawa Glowinski, who maintained the house and grounds for thirty years. The period of significance begins in 1762 with establishment of the farmstead by John Fowlkes and ends in 1963, as agricultural operations continued and the property was being managed by Polish immigrants who had arrived immediately after World War II.