This report summarizes the results of a three-week archeological survey and testing
program within a National Park Service-owned parcel of land in Boston Village,
Summit County, Ohio.
This small, historic community straddles the Cuyahoga River and the Ohio and
Erie Canal between the cities of Cleveland and Akron. The archeological project
part of the ongoing planning for restoration of an early 1830's historic
structure, the Boston General Store, and development of visitor services related
Shovel testing and limited test excavations were
combined to inventory and evaluate the grounds adjacent to the Store. The small parcel
is bounded on the north by Boston Mills Road, on the east by the canal, and on
the south and west by the Cuyahoga River. Historically, this area was divided
into nine small Boston Village Lots. Historic research has revealed that at
least seven structures, in addition to the Store and an attached warehouse, stood on
these lots in the mid-nineteenth century. Only the Store remains today.
The archeological work is integrated with historic background research in this
report to provide an overview of the tangible resources remaining from the
construction and use of the seven former structures. In addition, limited excavation
at the Store has provided new information on architectural features related to
that building. A very large artifact assemblage was recovered through the limited
field procedures in 1993, indicating that several specific areas of the site we
were very intensively used in the nineteenth century. In most instances, it was
possible to directly link the archeological scatters and features recorded in the
survey area to structures documented in the historic record. The methods and
rationale for determining those connections form an important part of the report.
Significant archeological deposits were recorded on six of the nine lots
that were investigated. The report discusses those deposits and relates them to
the history of Boston Village and the existing National Register Nomination
for the community.